Music in `69…a Meme.
Ok, ok, you can now all go put the blame on Miriam of Radiantwoman fame for this and check out her “Music in 1977” article in which she tagged me to do the same. So the basic idea of Miriam`s is to write about the Hits you love and were affected by from your High School years (in my case, “secondary” school years!) So I have chosen 1969 as my memorable year as thats the year I left school for my great beginning in reality…the workplace. 15 when I left and could`nt wait but after 2 weeks off and basking in freedom my Dad, God Bless him, kicked me out of the house one very hot and sunny day with the immortal words, “………and don`t come back `til you`ve got a job!”
My five songs from the year? Here goes nothin`….
1. Heard It Through the Grapevine/Marvin Gaye : total smouldering r&b from a master, beautiful and sexy song to eye the ladies in the disco`s I had just started to frequent ( I could get in just about anywhere…) What a time! Disco`s had kicked off bigtime and were just the bestist of places!
2. Honky Tonk Women/Rolling Stones : The group that spelled danger then! If theres one thing I love about music its a great riff, this lot had it in spades, masters of the great riff care of the Keith Richards guitar treatment. Yeah! I started to play guitar when I was about 14 and used to bore all my friends to utter desolation trying to emulate riffs like this on a cheap spanish guitar…..This and the next 2 songs are all real riffy ones and were partly responsible for the first band I was ever in(cos it was my own!) “Charlies Achievements” . There were 2 of us is all, well I figured that the money we were going to earn would be easy to divide by 2 and there`d be more of it too! Never learnt a thing but made a LOT of noise!It was all my brothers fault anyhow, he was a drummer in a REAL band and when he practised in our outside “wash house” the whole street came to see the bombs going off!
3. Get Back/The Beatles : Another riff-driven Paul McCartney singalong song that was a joy to sing with…and still is!
4. Come Together/The Beatles : Lovely psychedelia yet still got a great riff! How DO they do it!
5. Sugar Sugar/The Archies : Oh give me a break!!! You CANNOT be SERIOUS!!! Well yes actually, this was a very serious song purposely designed to drive people totally nuts when myself and accompanying gang sang it out loud on the top deck of a double decker bus thus proving the fact that these one-hit wonder type groups could be heard by everyone at some time therefore not being totally forgotten……..
So there, 5 goodies from a time gone by, schooldays gone by and the passage into adulthood upon us, they were some times I know that, they were a lot simpler too somehow!